Datsun vs. MGB

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Datsun vs. MGB
From: rfeibusch@loop.com (Rick Feibusch)
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 18:20:10 -0800 (PST)
Hey guys (and the occasional gal)!

I only calls em as I sees em. I never lost a race to an MGB in either of my
Datsuns (I lost plenty to 4-holer Porsches and an Alfa or two). The best
race I lost was to a guy in a Honda 800S roadster. I'd never even seen one
at the time, but really, how fast could an 800cc car that was smaller than
a bugeye be?  We peeled off the line and as I dutifully shifted into second
at 6200rpm, the Honda screamed off, still in first, and just left me
sitting there lugging along in second! Later I learned that these cars
weighed in at about the same as a go kart and the damn things would wind up
to 10,000rpm! And yes the Honda would make mincemeat out of a B.

I'm not interested in bench (or keyboard) racing the cars I used to own.
All I can say is don't underestimate the Datsun 1600 - they won way too
many pro races in their day. They also had alot of factory support in the
US that BMC didn't do.