RE: Starter Identity

To: <engel@metro.net>, <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Starter Identity
From: <larry.g.unger@lmco.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 23:22:51 -0500
Ron Engelhardt [SMTP:engel@metro.net] wrote:

> The brushes in the starter on my MGA are in need of replacement. Trouble
> is the starter doesn't look like the pictures in the manual. It looks
> more like an MGB starter (do they fit?). The markings on it are:
>
>                Lucas
>        25147B         12V
>       M35J    1       35      69
>
> Can anyone identify it from these numbers?

>From the Brown & Gammons Catalog ...

"There are 3 types of Lucas starter motors tha may be found on an MGA.
All are interchangable as a unit but the service parts are different.

Lucas 25022, with band and threaded pinion retaining nut; to 16GC/H6434
Lucas 25079, 25083, etc. with band and circlip for pinion retaining; 16GC/H6435
on
Lucas 25149, without inspection band. Not original equipment on MGA."

... the first two styles, with band, are fitted rectangular shaped brushes and
the
the third style, without inspection band, is fitted with wedge shaped brushes.
*think* that the early 'B' starters use the wedge shaped brushes ... perhaps one
of the 'B' folk can confirm this ... hmmm, I just might have a set in the parts
box.

Safety Fast! ... larry.g.unger@lmco.com
'61 MGA 1600 MkII