MGA Soft Top Help Needed

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: MGA Soft Top Help Needed
From: bk996@freenet.carleton.ca (Eric R. Stephen)
Date: Sat, 13 Dec 1997 15:21:07 -0500 (EST)
***********************************
Listers:

I have just finished repairing the soft top and looks great!  A local shoe
repair shop suggested that I sand as much of the paint spotting off the top
as possible.  He gave me some industrial strength shoe dye (black) and
instructed me to apply until paint was covered.  Then provided me with a
waterproof spray dye (MAGIX SHOE COLOR SPRAY, KIWI BRANDS INC.,
DOUGLASSVILLE, PA) to apply to the entire surface.  This covered
the spotting repairs and also evened out the color, including some fading.
The top looks brand new!!  Of course the test (waterproof, no running) will
have to wait for the spring.  A local upholstery shop will rebuild the
front flap for me.  Once tacked back on,  should be ready for the first wet
spring drive.  I only have one small problem to resolve.  The weather flap
(correct term ?) on the leading edge of the top needs to be replaced.
I've looked through a number of books trying to determine the shape and
placement of the flap so the upholstery shop can start to work on it.
Needless to say, I can't get a clear picture.  From what is left of the
original flap, I think I can see the following:  The flap proper looks to
be approximately 1" wide and runs the length of the front of the top.
There appears to be some sort of stiffener inside and the flap is sewn at
the upper edge of the stiffener.   It also looks as if there is a run of
material (continuous) that runs to the lower edge, inside to cover the wooden
front rail and a run of material (continuous) that looks like it might fit
under the hidem strip on the leading, outer edge of the top.  Is this correct?
In addition, how is the hidem strip on the leading edge held on?  With the
wooden front rail, I assume it's tacked on by some means, although it is
not immediately obvious.  Is this correct?  Any help will be appreciated,
especially from those in warmer climes that might still have access to
their tops.

Thanks in advance.

--
         ' ' '          Great is the truth and mighty above all things;
      (  o   o )        It endureth and is always strong;