Rust, gas, carbs, trouble...and oil filter

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Rust, gas, carbs, trouble...and oil filter
From: Blake Wylie <bwylie@hiwaay.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 1997 20:26:06 -0600 (CST)
Ok...I've got rust in the fuel tank.  It's going through the lines up to the
float bowls in my SUs where it is causing my car trouble.  It will run fine
for a while then cut out.  All I usually do when it cuts out is to restart
it.  It will run fine for a while longer until it does it again.  I believe
that the rust is causing it.

Now...possible solutions:  Add a fuel filter.  I don't have a fuel filter on
my car.  It is a 1970 model car.  Can I add one?  Where?  A non-lbc guy
looked at my engine (just a friend), and he thought I could put it on the
line that runs into the first float.  He said I could get a plastic 5/16ths
filter and cut the line, and put it on.  I will probably need to drain my
tank, and filter the gas back in, and keep doing that until the gas clears
up also.

Now...is that an alright place to put the filter on?  Can it be done (I know
it can...but what do you think?).  Can I add it now and replace that line
later to get the filter off?

Any options and opinions are welcome.

Also...I have the hanging oil filter.  I picked up an inverted style filter
thing for only $15 from a guy who works on LBCs.  Should I replace the
hanging adapter and put the inverted one on there?  I was going to anyway
(for convenience, and to go ahead and plug up a leak down there...killing
two birds with one stone), but I read one of those tips in Moss, and they
said that the inverted adapters are bad on the engine.  Should I worry about
this?  Or should I go ahead and replace it?

Well...options and opinions are wanted here also.

Thanks in advance.  :)

 Blake M. Wylie
 bwylie@hiwaay.net
 http://fly.hiwaay.net/~bwylie/index.htm

 All unsolicited, junk email sent to this
 address will be deleted before being read.

 "May God have mercy upon my enemies; they will need it."
        -General George S. Patton, Jr.