Re: MGB Batteries

To: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Subject: Re: MGB Batteries
From: "John J. Peloquin" <peloquin@mamba.bio.uci.edu>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 1997 11:58:34 -0800 (PST)
Dear Trevor,

On Wed, 17 Dec 1997, Trevor Boicey wrote:

=%OWell, it appears that the battery that came with my MGB
=%Oproject car isn't going to cut it. It seems to charge up
=%Obut doesn't hold any charge. Even just running my trouble
=%Olight off of it seems to kill it in a half hour or so. Oh
=%Owell.
=%O
=%O  Any tips on sourcing a cheap "group 26" style battery? I'd

Unless I'm missing a problem here this should be pretty easy to solve.
Geez, go to Pep boys or whatever the Canuckistan equivalent is and buy one
of their inexpensive batteries that is the size you want.
I can't imagine it would be more than 40-50 bucks with exchange. I'm
REALLY cheap (have to be on a scientist's salary) and that wouldn't phase
me.
 =%Ohate to buy a brand new fancy battery right off the bat,
=%Othe car really might not ever be a runner.
=%O
=%O  Or.... is there any way to get a regular battery hooked
=%Oup without cutting? Even temporarily for testing?

Buy or borrow a couple of jumper cables-
Put on some safety glasses (probably a good idea to wear them no matter
what you do) disconnect the leads to the
present wimp battery, connect the proper ends of the jumper cables to the
proper leads from the auto,
connect the jumper cables to the good, charged
battery. Voila, you have a heart/lung machine for the hulk you are trying
to start.

Good Luck!

=%O
=%O  Tips?
=%O--
=%OTrevor Boicey
=%OOttawa, Canada
=%Otboicey@brit.ca
=%Ohttp://www.brit.ca/~tboicey/
=%O

"Never ascribe to Malice that which can be explained by Ignorance"

John J. Peloquin
Molecular Biology &
  Biochemistry
3205 BioSciences II