SU HIF Carb problems

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: SU HIF Carb problems
From: Mike Lishego <mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 1997 00:49:09 -0800
Hello again,
        Well, I spent all day re-smogging my 'B, along with trying to re-align
the
doors.  No luck on the doors, as my hex wrench smeared everytime I put serious
torque
behind it.
        But, I have a new problem.  I re-installed the dual HIF's, and turned
over the
key to hear them fill up, and heard more than that...Drip, drip, drip.  The
rear
carbie was dripping from somewhere around the rear, resulting in gas
splattering on
the manifold.  Remembering what I heard from the list, I bludgeoned the body of
the
carb three times with the handle of my lead wrench before giving it one good
shot with
the business end.  I sanded down my teak door rails and cedar arm rest and came
back
about 30 minutes later.  I turned the switch, and no more leak!  The would mean
that I
had a stuck needle valve, right?  Should I swap out with grose jets?  Any
advice?
        One more thing I noticed - The car will idle very high with the HIF's.
Should
I switch the throttle plate with an earlier solid one?  Apparently mine has a
fruity
little screw/spring valve in it that keeps the idle up, according to Moss.
Anybody
pull this swap?
        Neat stuff from today:  I re-smogged the car, and after the spilled gas
dried
I fired the car up.  Miraculously, the tach and other gauges worked, something
that
hasn't happened since I removed the SU's...The teak door rails look nice, but
the
cedar arm rest looked absolutely stunning after one coat of poly...
Happy Holidays!
--
Michael S. Lishego - Loyal SU owner, with an MGB on the side
St. Andrews Presbyterian College