Considering buying a MGB.

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Considering buying a MGB.
From: richard.arnold@juno.com (Richard D. Arnold)
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 1997 21:32:23 EST
I am considering buying a '74 MGB -- other than years of American-made
automotive experience, my experience with LBCs is limited to my '79
Midget and an aborted '67 Spitfire.

If I buy this, it would be for a daily driver.  I have offered $400,
which I think will be accepted.  Before I close the deal, does anyone
have any advice, cautions, or suggestions on what else I should check?
My observations follow:

BODY:  Poorly repainted, and has rust in each of the lower rockers in
front of the rear wheels, and assorted light rust elsewhere.  No bondo
that I could locate.  Needs a new right door skin, and left front wing
(although this one could be repaired).  Glass is good.  Rubber bumpers in
good shape.  No major dings, dents, creases. Floor is tight, no rust
holes, just light surface rust underneath.  Panels all align, but right
door is slightly off, hinges feel loose.  Bonnet and boot lid fit well,
and are in good shape.  Weatherstripping and seals in poor shape, except
windscreen.  Newer soft top with unclouded windows.  Comes with hard top
in good shape and good seals.  Has boot cover.

INTERIOR:  Complete, but seats are worn and driver's is split in bottom
cushion.  Gauges all appear to work; some switches screwed up.  Dash is,
of course, cracked.  Carpet is fair, but pulled loose in many areas.
Needs good cleaning all over.  Door panels in good shape, but wrinkled.
Speedometer 'jumps' but is reasonably accurate.  Seat belts work.

ELECTRICS:  No DPO patch jobs that I could see.  Holds charge.  Hazards
work on one side only; turn signal switch is shot, but rebuildable.
Wipers work, washers don't.  Some switches are shot, as noted.  Heater
fan works on one speed, switch won't move to second position.  Battery is
new.  Horn sounds on one note only, other one sounds sometimes.

POWERTRAIN:  Engine hadn't been fired in three months.  Pulled choke on,
pumped twice, cranked for 15 seconds, then cranked again.  Fired up
immediately (today was 25 degrees F out).  Runs rich.  Noisy muffler;
needs new exhaust gasket.  Doesn't leak fluids (small oil leak near oil
cooler)  Needs tune-up, maybe carb rebuild.  Oil just as dirty as it
should be, dark, but normal, not gritty or smelling of gasoline, no
evidence of water in it.  Tranny is tight, clutch feels good.  Shifts
like I think it should, no wierd noises.  Engine/tranny no greasier than
it should be.  Could definitely stand a good detailing.  70k (or 70M
depending on your POV) miles, supposedly original.  Engine sans air pump
(did it have one?).  Temp gauge went to normal, oil pressure (electric
gauge) showed 65 cold, 50 warm.

RUNNING GEAR:  Master cylinder needs rebuilt, as do rear wheel cylinders.
Good tires, wire wheels.  Front brakes seem OK, as does rear axle, and
e-brake.  Suspension felt OK, shocks good, no bizarre shimmies or shakes,
very slight pull to right.

Thanks,

Rich