More rantings on door cracks

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: More rantings on door cracks
From: Wade Massengill <wmasseng@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 1997 15:50:50 -0500
Greasings and Lubrications, All...

Every now and then much bandwidth is devoted to those nasty door
cracks that plague MGB owners. There are vairous theories as to
why the door cracks appear in the first place.

The mirror theory: The vibration of a door mounted mirror causes the
panel to crack.

The vent plane as door closer theory: DPO gets into the car, uses
vent plane frame as handle for closing door.

While the above abuses don't help the situation, the real cause is
poor design. (insert collective gasp here)

Take a good look at the top edge of a door skin, with all the inards
removed from the door. The top edge of the outer panel is folded over
in an "L" shape all along the slot for the window, and under the vent
plane frame. This allows for some stiffening of the panel. There is
a gap in the "folded over L shape" where the window channel part of
the vent frame passes into the body of the door. This alows the panel
to flex ONLY at this location, and this is where the crack apears.

This is why on my car I spot welded a plate behind the crack on the
drivers side before welding up the crack, and reinforced the passenger
side as well.

My '70 came stock with a drivers door mirror and a passenger fender
mirror. I went back with two fender mirrors and now find I don't
really like it, wishing instead I gone back with a door mirror on my
better that new door.

Bit the two fender mirrors do look neat.

Wade

Daisy the yellow car is a 1970 MGB