$400 4 weekend paint (rather long)

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: $400 4 weekend paint (rather long)
From: Wade Massengill <wmasseng@bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 1997 07:43:06 -0500
Greasings and Lubrications, All...

This is long but I thought it might save several listers greif and
money.

Enjoy.

Painting with PPG Single Stage (no clear overcoat) Enamel

This is a summary of an article I wrote for the Local MG club
newspaper.  (Peachtree MG Registry) To conserve bandwidth all the cute
stuff is removed.
Article assumes all the body restoration is complete. All products are
PPG/Ditzler. I painted my MGB at home with no prior experience.

Introduction:

The paint technology I wanted must be easy to use, to mix and to spray.
It must forgive me when I screw up. I should be able to divide the labor
into several weekend and have no adhesion problems. It must be cheap.
Single stage enamel does all this and requires no clear coat. And it’s
cheap. (Under $400 US) It also allows for easy spot repairs.

Get a MOSS catalog to take with you to the paint dealer. The color codes
in the back will allow a diligent dealer to find the color you want. If
you ask him for YL-12, he will offer a nice Subaru color. If you ask for
PPG/Ditzler 81499 he will mix up Primrose Yellow.

Weekend One:

Clean and dry the surface thoroughly. Wipe down with DX300 Wax and
Grease Remover. Mix DP40 Epoxy Primer 1:1 with DP401 Catalyst. Spray one
medium wet coat. After 72 hours scuff with #320 sandpaper. For best
results prime each panel when you complete repairs, then do the whole
car.

Weekend Two:

Mix K200 Primer-Surfacer 4:1:1 with 201 Catalyst and correct reducer,
either DT860, DT870, DT885 or DT95 depending on the temperature in your
garage the day you wish to spray. Temperature match is critical, err on
the hot side if you must. Make one medium coat. Wait one hour, make
another medium coat.
This stage is very easy. Block sand with #320 sandpaper. Wash and tack
rag.

Weekend Three:

Adding the color!! My yellow #81499 was a Delstar Acrylic Enamel
requiring no clear coat. Mix 1 gallon Color to 1 pint DXR80 Hardener to
3 quarts DTR602 Reducer. Mix very well and don’t let it settle. Spray 2
to 3, or 4 if you like, full wet coats, waiting 20 to 30 minutes between
coats. DO NOT TOUCH THE CAR FOR 24 HOURS!! Any dirt or flaws will likely
wet sand out. If you pick at it, you will only make it worse.

Weekend Four:

Making it Shine!! Slowly and carefully wet sand with #1200 sandpaper.
Make the car very dull, very evenly all over. Machine buff with 3M
Imperial Machine Glaze. Follow with soft cloths and hand buff, using 3M
Imperial Hand Glaze.
Do not contaminate the machine pad with hand glaze!

Standard Safety Notes:

Wear a real respirator, not a dust mask. Avoid cigarettes and pilot
lights, including those in next room. Cover up your body completely.
This protects you and you won’t drip sweat on the car. Cover up anything
else you don’t want painted. It goes EVERYWHERE!! Ventilate your
workspace. Lower the garage door to 10 inches and put fans in all the
windows. Seal the door to the house.

Quality Notes

Clean your floors. Wet down the garage floor and driveway to control
dust. Tape holes in the car from behind, as trash tends to blow out of
them. Take your time and don’t panic. Most mistakes will wet sand out,
others just are painted over. Avoid the temptation to pick at the wet
paint surface

*****

I did this. I have medium mechanical skills (I test data comm software
for
a iiving) You can do this.

Wade

Daisy the yellow car is a 1970 MGB. I made her yellow myself.