Re: 71 MGB Timing Question

To: BobMGT@aol.com
Subject: Re: 71 MGB Timing Question
From: mgbob@juno.com (ROBERT G. HOWARD)
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 1997 11:13:46 EST
Hi Bob,
  This info may be food for thought, rather than the exact answer you
sought--
  Bently, p.456, shows an advance chart for "standard" dist, Ser #40897,
BMC part No. 12H792.  The chart shows advance at 8 degrees of Distributor
advance at 1000. That is, of course, 16 degrees on the crankshaft.
   Note that the distrib # cited is the dist used on the 18GF engines, if
the Gen Data, p.64, are to be believed.
   Next, one may refer to p. 71, on which the 18V 582Y and the 18V583Y
engines are shown. One might, also note that neither of these engines is
listed in the distributor application chart on p.64.
   on p. 71, there ---  well, this all winds back and forth with
references not referencing, but it looks as though most of the
distributors that existed or didn't exist, depending on one's belief or
lack thereof, were about:
        0 - 6  degrees at    600 rpm.   Good luck testing that
                  6 - 10                        800
                  7 - 11                        1000

  If you send me the serial # from your dist, I will try to look it up to
give you the "exact" specs from the book.
Bob