Child seat in a roadster

To: "mgs.team.net" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Child seat in a roadster
From: walter cahill <walter.cahill@guardian.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 1998 15:46:02 GMT
Hi there,
I'm planning to fit a child seat in the rear of my MGB roadster so that my
wife and I can enjoy MG motoring for as long as possible after the birth of
our first child (due in June).

Is it possible to fit a child seat in the rear of an MGB roadster?
Has anyone tried this with any success?
Is it a wise thing to do?

I have received varied advice from people on the subject.
Insurance companies will not cover child seats in the rear as the roadster
is a two seater and not a 2 plus 2. Consequently clubs and organisations
are reluctant to give any advice on the subject. I have seen it done in a
GT which apparently with its bench seat escapes the law. I would have
thought a GT with its more limited head room to be more dangerous than an
adequately kitted out roadster.
I have discovered an old magazine article on the subject of fitting a child
seat to a Midget and I presume a similar approach could be used on a B. It
was apparently done as follows:
A normal child seat for a four month year old was removed from its standing
frame and secured by the proper straps used to fit child seats into
conventional family cars. Front straps were fixed using the seat belt
anchorage bolts and the rear straps went through small holes cut in the
rear plastic panel and were bolted on to the structural members of the
boot, via a short steel strip (which had to be made). These adjustable
straps with their quick release buckles could be loosened in a couple of
seconds to allow the seat to be tilted forward to lower the hood (this
would probably not affect me as my hood is the older detachable sort).
My thoughts are that I will fit that roll bar that has been sitting in my
garage for the last six months and perhaps even extend it to a roll cage
for added protection. I am also considering fitting a fibreglass hood to
protect against drafts etc. but I wonder how much this will restrict the
height and angle of the seat.
Many thanks in advance for any advice.
Walter Cahill.
Langford, Biggleswade,