Re: Shock Absorber Fluid (Was:Re: Dashpot Oil)

To: Matt Kulka <Matt.Kulka@hboc.com>
Subject: Re: Shock Absorber Fluid (Was:Re: Dashpot Oil)
From: mmcewen@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca (John McEwen)
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 1998 13:47:30 -0500
Hi Matt:

I use ATF for damn near everything on a car except the engine - and a quart
of it in the oil occasionally will certainly help to keep it clean.  I use
the red stuff for the following:

Automatic transmissions
Power steering pumps
Carburetor dashpots
Lever shock absorbers
Hydraulic steering systems
Jackall systems
Floor jacks
Bottle jacks
Motorcycle primary cases
Motorcycle forks

It is a superior light oil - 20 wt. - with a high level of detergent but is
also not too slippery.  It is conveniently dyed to assist in finding leaks
and is inexpensive and readily available.  I don't need to purchase a great
number of different, very expensive "specialty" oils which all do the same
job - but not as well in many cases.  It would also probably make decent
brake fluid in a warm climate except that it would be a bit too slow to
release pressure. It might also serve as a good oil in an OD transmission
if driven in a winter climate.

I heartily recommend it to all.

On another matter, I fully endorse the use of silicone brake fluid.  This
is particularly important in vehicles which are in storage for a
considerable time - as in winter storage on a yearly basis.  There is the
possibility that some LBCs will require the replacement of rubber brake
parts with newer ones, however if they do swell in the presence of silicone
fluid they probably should have been replaced long before this.  It doesn't
take too many wheel cylinder/master cylinder/clutch cylinder replacements
before the logic of this takes hold - not to mention the cost of repairing
damaged paint when something lets go in the engine compartment.

BTW, I'm still trying to get brake fluid out of the carpets of my MG after
the last master cylinder failure.

John McEwen