Re: Kits based on MGBs (LONG!)

To: Scott Gardner <gardner7@pilot.infi.net>
Subject: Re: Kits based on MGBs (LONG!)
From: Jim Boyd <ISC@dcsi.net>
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 1998 07:06:29 -0800
Hey Scott (and Listers!)

I've been off the list for awhile during the Holidays, but just happened
upon this thread.  I have been in the development stage for several
years, contemplating a kit car based on a MGB.

In fact, I ordered the video tape for the Cal Ace, just to see what was
happening there, as a potential competitor.  I have *never* seen a video
as scary as that one!  Asd a general word of precaution, I would never
plunk down thousands of dollars for a kit without seeing their build
video first.  Better to waste $35 bucks!

I actually flew to Ontario,Canada in December '95 to see the Brooklands
in person.  I still have many photos and video of the car.  I was
considering a joint partnership with Barry, since he had no
representation in the US, but it failed to happen.  Great body,
wonderful craftmanship, but a interior lacking creativity and overall
*very* expensive!  The Rover 3.5L performance is awesome in the B and
can be re-created by anyone with access to an engine.

I got as far as taking a '66 BGT, removing the top, mounting a set of
MGC Sebring flared fenders to the rear and then doing some experimental
work to the rear, using Ford Escort rear tail lights (just as the
Brooklands does).  Wasn't satisfied with the look, so I stopped.  Too
many other projects right now!  I do have a *much greater appreciation*
for all the development work that is involved in making new 'glass
components!

I am actually considering the development of a Spitfire based open
wheeled RX-7 based single seater (or possibly tandem seater) car.  The
Spit has a great front end, much better than the B (at least in terms of
age of technology!) and has a simple chassis to work with, unlike the
unibody B setup.  Overall, I think the B has more value than a Spit, so
the Spit as a donor car will be more accessible.  So far, I have been
given three Spits; no one has ever given me a B!

If you have an interest in continuing this conversation or have any good
(as in realistic) suggestions, please e-mail me privately!

Cheers,
Jim Boyd
International Sportscar Components
Paradise, CA  USA