Re: To roll or not to roll

To: Darren_Jameson@illinova.com, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: To roll or not to roll
From: Jurgen Hartwig <gt0003a@prism.gatech.edu>
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 1998 14:40:11 -0500
At 08:45 AM 1/8/98 -0600, Darren_Jameson@illinova.com wrote:

>I second the motion on using a rollbar.

>This is not to say that everyone with a convertible top should have a

>rollbar.  I do simply because of the added safety factor not only for

>myself, but also for the ones that I love.  I've also installed a set of

>vintage lap belts.

You know, the way I see it though, by installing lap belts, you are instilling
some danger.  I, too, considered lap belts, so that I and any occupant would be
able to lean into the car in case of a roll over.  The counter, though, is that
now, your upper body is free to move around.  Great for when you want to grab
that apple that rolled up deep

into the foot compartment, but what about that accident when you head-on a car,
or some other accident when you are thrown around the cockpit.  Then the
steering wheel, dash and doors become a real hazard to a vunerable person begin
jolted uncontrolably.

Being a resident of Atlanta and Memphis, two of the absolute worst cities for
accidents, I figure I'd risk my chances of roll-over, in exchange for a good
secure set of seat belts, with 3-points, of course.

Just my $2 worth.

Jay

Jurgen Hartwig, Civil Engineering, Georgia Tech

and the world rejoiced

Try to live your life so that

when you die you will rejoice

and the world will cry.