Re: Important Shock Absorber Follow Up Info (longish)

To: aramm@concentric.net
Subject: Re: Important Shock Absorber Follow Up Info (longish)
From: mmcewen@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca (John McEwen)
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 1998 13:09:58 -0500
Hi Andy:

I don't disagree with your assessment of the fit of the Corvair shock, but
I can't agree with you that the use of a shock as fitted to these cars was
somehow irresponsible or unsafe.  After all, there were millions of these
cars built.  In fact there were over 1 million Corvairs built with this
system.  A further note is that the Corvair didn't weigh much more than an
MG and enjoyed a rather similar front/back weight ratio due to the use of
an aluminum engine/transaxle.  Corvairs were extensively raced and rallied,
again using this form of axle limiting.

The shocks used were specific to this car and undoubtedly were designed to
function in this manner, but I have to wonder which is stronger - a solid
metal shaft firmly attached to a machined piston sliding in a metal tube
and lubricated by oil, or a length of rubber and fabric belting exposed to
the elements?

John