Re: Shocks as travel stops

To: Bill Eastman <william.eastman@medtronic.com>
Subject: Re: Shocks as travel stops
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 1998 17:08:42 -0600
Bill Eastman wrote:

> Telescopic shocks are the travel stop on virtualy every leaf spring solid
> axle car made in America.

I didn't really hold much interest in this thread until I saw the opportunity
to disagree with Eastman. Awhile back on the Triumph List (or so I've heard)
there was a great amount of clamoring, preaching and breast beating about tube
shock conversions for the TR6.

The pursits check in that, with the lever shock arrangement, there is a clear
bump stop for the suspension (over) travel. Converting to tube shocks would
eliminate this and, therefore, be a bad thing.

As for Mr. Eastman's observation, I have changed a few shocks on leaf spring
cars and I have never had any problem with the rear suspension dropping any
more when the shocks were removed. I, therefore, conclude that the leaf spring
arrangment some how limits the full rebound direction of suspension travel. I
believe it does this through its mounting to the car at each end of the spring.

PS: Say, Bill, did you sell another one of those neck-splinting torture systems
to that football player?
--
Bob Allen, Kansas City, '69CGT, '75TR6, '61Elva(?)
"An expert is a person who avoids the small errors while sweeping on to the