Re: SU carb problem

To: vafred@erols.com
Subject: Re: SU carb problem
From: karim.marouf@cancom.com
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 1998 16:18:48 -0800
Thanks for your reply=2E I'm pretty sure that I didn't switch any parts
 (I was very careful about this) and I am using the correct oil
 level and type (I'm using the carb oil sold by Moss)=2E I didn't
polish the jets, but I don't think there's a problem because I got
the jets centered nicely and both pistons drop swiftly and with
a nice click=2E

I'm pretty sure that the problem lies with the dampner (the rod that
goes into the top of the carb)=2E Maybe the
clearances are to tight, but I can't see how that could have come about=2E

I should have mentioned that I bought the carbs used, and for some
 reason the previous owner had put tape all around the top of the
dampner;  apparently to keep it from coming out=2E Why it
was coming out, or how that is even possible, I don't know=2E I just threw
away the dampner and put another one in (also from an early SU)=2E
Maybe the dampner that I'm now using is slightly too big for the
hole? I didn't think that these dampners were matched to individual carbs=2E
 Should I try filling down the end of it, or is that stupid? I've  never ha=
d=20
a problem
with this before, so I'm really not sure how to proceed=2E

Karim
 ----------

# 1- did you rebuild these carbs completely and do them seperatly=2E
# 2 any chance of switching the pistons from one to the other=2E These are
a matched pair and cannot be switched=2E
# 3 is the oil level correct in both carbs=2E
# 4 what are you using for damper oil & what wt=2E
when any two items are involved I have always found it best to complete
just one and then put it aside and start on the other=2E
# 5 did you polish the jets for smooth operation
Just some thoughts that come to mind=2E Hope this helps=2E Good Luck "FT"

Karim Marouf
Canon Communications LLC
Tel: 310-392-5509
Fax: 310-392-4920