Re: Best order to perform restoration.

To: BURIEL@nb.sympatico.ca
Subject: Re: Best order to perform restoration.
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardner7@pilot.infi.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 1998 12:44:19 +0000
> Thanks in advance for the advice. This is my first post.
>
> I purchased a 73 B Roadster 4 years ago, but due to school, work, and
> the repeated loss of a workspace the progres has been dismal. Now that
> school is done, the new job not so new and a steady garage space I can
> finally get  down to business! Currently the car has been styripped of
> its interior, dash, windshield and other miscellania.  The engine and
> trans arec still in the car.  Every aspect of the car needs restored.
>
> My question is : What is really the bestorder to do it in.
> ie. Body shell first or engine and suspension etc?
>
> Bert Ljungstrom

Bert,
        Considering you have it all stripped down, and you obviously have
some other form of transportation, I'm guessing you don't need to
drive it during the restoration.  If this is the case, AND you're
going to do all the work yourself, then I don't think the order
paricularly matters.  If you are going to farm out the
bodywork/welding/painting, I would try to get the bodyshell stripped
down and handed off to the person doing the work as soon as possible,
since they will probably have the car for several weeks, minimum.
Some listers have reported that it took months to get their cars back
from the bodyshop.
        This way, you can work on the engine, transmission, recovering the
seats, ordering parts, etc., while the shop does the body.  Then when
you get the body back, you just have to reassemble all the new bits.
If you saved the bodywork for last, you'd probably end up waiting on
the bodyshop.
Scott