Re: Defunct Marques of Any Consequence, All. -Reply

To: mgb.roadster@juno.com
Subject: Re: Defunct Marques of Any Consequence, All. -Reply
From: "Scott Gardner" <gardner7@pilot.infi.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 15:24:22 +0000
> On Sat, 10 Jan 1998 03:01:16 +0000 "Scott Gardner"
> <gardner7@pilot.infi.net> writes:
> Snip...............
> >     It's a wonder the Dodge Viper made it.  Of course, to sell it to
> the
> >bean counters, they had to justify the engine as a future option for
> >their truck line.  Can't a multi-billion dollar company make a car
> >just for fun?
> >Scott
> >Scott Gardner
> >gardner@lwcomm.com
> >www.lwcomm.com/~gardner
>
> Scott, I'm not an expert here but I believe the V10 was actually being
> developed for the truck line when someone (Iacocca and his buddy Caroll
> Shelby?) got a wild hair.  Can anyone confirm this?
>
> Larry Hoy (MGB.Roadster@juno.com)
> Denver, CO USA
> 1969 MGB Roadster
> 1987 Jaguar XJ6 Vanden Plas
> ===============================

Larry,
        I could be wrong, but I thought that the V-10 was developed for the
Viper, with the intention of putting it in the Ram trucks later.  I
don't remember a V-10 in the trucks until the new Mack-front-end Rams
came out, and the Viper certainly pre-dated those.  Not to say that
Lee and Carroll didn't pluck the idea from plans for a truck engine,
but I'm pretty sure it made it into the Viper first.
Scott
Scott Gardner
gardner@lwcomm.com
www.lwcomm.com/~gardner