Re: MGB door hinges needed

To: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Subject: Re: MGB door hinges needed
From: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 20:09:32 +0000
Trevor Boicey wrote:

> I need some MGB door hinges in good condition,
> does anybody have spares?
>
>   Or are they repairable when they get loose causing the
> door to have vertical motion that makes it hard to
> close the door?
>
>   Thanks!
>
> --
> Trevor Boicey
> Ottawa, Canada
> tboicey@brit.ca
> http://www.brit.ca/~tboicey/

As others have said, the wings/fenders are not (or at least, should not
be) welded in place.  I think the hinges are removable without removing
the wings, you can get to the back of the A post from under the wheel
arch if you remove the splash plate.  The hinges are bolted through here
as well as having the four visible screws.

As well as the up and down and side to side movement of the hinge on the
pillar (intentional movement, that is, not wear) the amount of 'drop' at
the outer edge of the door can be adjusted where the hinge attaches to
the door.  If you push the top hinge further into the door and pull the
bottom hinge out you should be able to get the door aligned to close
properly without lifting it.  The wear will still be there of course.

PaulH.