Tire size???

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Tire size???
From: Bob De Weese <bearlock@erols.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 1998 21:58:56 -0500
Hi folks.  Though I'd pop in and see how things are going.

I made myself feel really stupid today.  Yesterday, I noticed that the
car was handling "differently".  It seemed almost like the it was
turning in "delayed action" mode.  I'd turn the wheel just a bit and the
car would move over, then would seem to swerve further in the same
direction and back.  This was driving me nuts!  It _couldn't_ be "wear"
because it seemed to happen overnight.  Well, over several days that it
hadn't been driven, actually.  But basicaly, I parked it and it was
fine.  The next time I drove it the problem was REALLY there.

I kept opening the driver's door and looking at the front tires as I
moved the wheel back and forth, evertime I stopped at a light.  People
must have thought I was losing my mine.

The rest of the story....

On one of my red light investigations, I just happened to look at the
rear driver's side tire.  It was a little low.  Not enough to effect the
handling THAT much.  Never the less I pulled into a gas station and put
some air in the tire.  Since I was there I figured it couldn't hurt to
"top off" the rest of the tires.  GUESS WHAT!  The rear passenger side
was almost flat.

Told you I felt stupid.

Anyway, the tire is drivable, but it's pretty screwed up along the
sidewall.  Obviously new tires just got bumped _way_ up on the priority
list.

So here's my question...

What is the widest size tires that I can _safely_ put on standard
Rostyle wheels with out having them rub the (rear) wheel well, or come
of the rim in a hard turn (seen that happen once... and it wasn't
pretty)

My favorite tire place has a new manager who's knowledge of tires
apparently ends at the back of a tire book.  I KNOW WHAT SIZE TIRE "THE
BOOK" CALLS FOR!  I want to know what I can "get away with".

So Great Gurus of MOWOG, what size rear tires do you recommend for the
best handling (with no other modifications)?

Bobby
77 MGB Roadster  (with an idiot for an owner)
--
                                       Bob De Weese
                             Certified Professional Locksmith

*  "The secret to effective communication is knowing what to say, *
*   how to say it, and whom to say it to."                        *