Re: TD watwe temp/level

To: rdwilt@pol.net
Subject: Re: TD watwe temp/level
From: mgbob@juno.com (ROBERT G. HOWARD)
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 13:14:14 EST
Hi Roger,
  Although you will find those who will tell you that the normal position
for the needles on that gauge is the oil pressure at 0 and the water temp
at 100, that's not quite true.
  The thermostat will open at 65-70C and the car will run in 60-70F
degree weather with the temp needle at 70-80C.  On long grades in hot
weather you will probably see it edge over toward 90C, but it should not
stay there long.  Drive the car a while and tell us what readings you are
getting under various conditions.
  Of more concern to me is that you have to keep topping up the radiator
after every drive. Unless this little engine is overheating fiercely and
boiling off the water, there is a leak somewhere, and you are losing a
lot of water.   Do you have the O-ring gasket on the radiator cap? Is the
overflow tube up to about 3/4 inch from the top of the filler neck? Is
there any cream-colored liquid or foam on the engine dipstick?
Bob