Head Questions

To: larry.g.unger@lmco.com, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Head Questions
From: Chris Delling <saschris@flash.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 13:37:32 -0500
I am preparing to re-install the head on my 77B.  It has been fitted with
the older, 8.7:1 C.R. pistons, and a Piper BP270 camshaft.  The cam is
speced to provide .400" valve lift with std. rockers.

The head was rebuilt.  It is a pre-67 head - small valves, no smog ports.
It had been skimmed in the past by a P.O., and neither the machine shop or
I could come up with an exact indication of how much was taken off, but we
estimated that between .020" and .030" had been previously removed.  Not
wanting problems, a decision was made to take off .010" for resurfacing.

I am concerned about valve/block interference.  Am I correct that only the
exhausts pose a threat of contacting the block?  18V blocks such as mine
were flycut at the point that the exhaust valves would contact, so I
believe that I am O.K there.  Am I right in the belief that the intakes
cannot contact the block?

Regards,

Chris Delling