Re: Top Rails

To: cfrazer@ballmer.uoregon.edu
Subject: Re: Top Rails
From: miker15@juno.com (michael j robson)
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 1998 22:08:25 EST
On Thu, 15 Jan 1998 15:29:35 -0800 Charlie Frazer
<cfrazer@ballmer.uoregon.edu> writes:
>Does anyone out there have experience with restoring MGB roadster door
>top rails?
>I've been able to recover the wooden rails with vinyl using staples
>and
>a staple gun to hold the vinyl in place. However, the inner window
>brush
>has a metal core which defies my staple gun.
>I fear that nails will split the wood, and upholstry tacks don't seem
>hold.
>Any suggestions?
>Thanks,
>Charlie Frazer
>cfrazer@oregon.uoregon.edu

Charlie,
I have had good results drilling the strip and the wood and using
small(abt 3/8")
thin brass  screws, the fur on the strip all but covers the heads and the
fix is permanent - But tell me, how many strips of vinyl did you cut when
you did the first one round the curved bit??!! I think i did 4 before i
got it right!!

mike robson
69 roadster (top rails to do)
70 BGT (top rails done in jaguar vinyl)
72 roadster (top rails original but coated in vinyl paint!- new weather
strips though)