Re: Beer Pilgrimage (off topic)

To: bradleys <bradleys@vdn.com>, MgList CARS <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>,
Subject: Re: Beer Pilgrimage (off topic)
From: Chris Nevard <spridgeteer@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 1998 12:16:14 -0800 (PST)
How strange that I should reply to this one;-)

---bradleys <bradleys@vdn.com> wrote:

> Dear Mg Listers, Chris Nevard (the other CAMRA Member), and all of
you
> lovers of British Ale,
>
> I don't know squat about German Beer.  The real British Ale is so
>good,

Foriegn beers are OK once in a while but you can't beat the REAL
thing!

>I don't wish to explore anything else, anywhere else.  In fact, my
>plans
> are in the works for 1999, a CAMRA approved pub crawling, CAMRA
approved
> dining and Inn staying, MG spotting,  Pilgrimage to Britain!

This sounds like a very good idea (CAMRA approved)- this way you miss
out on all those jap owned kiddie 'ORIENTated' 'fun pubs'(AKA boil in
the bag eateries with nitro keg)

I'll try to
> visit and stay at enough low ceilinged pubs and Inns to keep my
history
> minded wife happy.

Go to Polperro in Cornwall in the winter and visit the Blue Anchor -
the 'Sharps Doom Bar bitter' is something else (GBG of course)

> Now our challenge is to find  some designated drivers, who know the
> territory, to ferry us from watering hole to castle to watering
hole.  In
> past visits to Britian, I've had enough driving without the benefit
of a
> pint to attempt it after a few pints, especially around the
rounabouts.

This could be a problem - heh heh - hiring a taxi is the only way.
Other CAMRA members will find pubs and cars go together as well as
Castrol 20-50 mixed with coolant in an MG (obligatory MG bit).

> What fun it will be to visit places like the "Blue Anchor" (listed
as the
> oldest pub in England), step up to the plank and ask the barman for a
> pint of "Old Growler", "Mordue Workie Ticket", or "Phoenix Wobbly
Bob".
> (Was the brewer of the latter a transplanted Arizonian?)

Where is this one?  - needs to be ticked off in the book!

> We're also members of the Octagon Car Club and, if we're lucky, we
may be
> able to attend a Noggin' 'n Natter with some of the Octabods.

Don't forget the MGCC /MGOC natters as well . . .

> If any of you gentlemen or ladies have a suggestion for a
> not-to-be-missed favorite spot of yours, drop a line, please.

You must go to the 'Flower Pots' pub in Cheriton, Hampshire near
Winchester ( A Cathederal city). This pub does bed and breakfast so
you don't have to drive. It has it's own on site brewery (Cheriton
Brewhouse), low beams and always a roaring log fire in winter. The
beer is straight from the cask.

Get a taxi from here to Dunbridge for the 'Hampshire Bowman' -
strangely archery is practiced outside the pub in the summer. Bare
stone floors and beer straight from the cask again.

Go th Salisbury in Wiltshire and apart from the 'Wyndham Arms' for a
pint or two of 'Summer Lightning' go right down into the town and
visit to the 'Haunch of Venison'. This pub hasn't changed in several
hundreds of years, ask the landlord about the mummified hand
(strangely not always in the GBG - should be).

Go to the bleak Swanage Peninsular in Dorset and visit the 'Square &
Compasses' in the small village of Worth Matravers. This very rustic
stone pub doesn't even have a bar - they serve you through a serving
hatch - no pumps here - all straight from the Cask.

> Neil "Sure I'll have another" Bradley
> The only CAMRA member in Northern California

Cheers
==
Chris Nevard

"If there was no electricity a television would have to run with candlelight"

<http://www.mgcars.org/cambs.mgoc/images2/chris.jpg>
Work <nevardc@sky4.bskyb.com> Other <spridgeteer@yahoo.com>