Re: Clutch problems may be solved..

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Clutch problems may be solved..
From: "Power British Performance Parts, Inc." <britcars@powerbritish.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 1998 00:00:12 -0500
>Any suggestions on how to get it unstuck?  I was thinking I'd push start
>it and put the clutch in and pump the gas a bit to get the car to sort
>of rock.  Or maybe just rock it on the garage floor?
>
>--
>Ron Madurski
>rmadursk@galaxy.galstar.com

Ron, we've used the following technique for freeing a stuck clutch on a
number of occasions with great success and it isn't as dangerous as the Moss
technique.
First, be sure the brakes and clutch hydraulics work reasonably well or it
will be much harder to do in this manner.  Jack up the rear of the car and
support the axle on stands.  Put the car in 4th gear and start the motor -
the rear wheels will be spinning at a good speed so be careful moving around
the car.  Have an assistant nearby to work the throttle from under the
bonnet.  Allow your assistant to rev the engine up to about 3000-4000rpm
without your pressing the accelerator.  Now press the clutch down hard and
hold it.  A split second later jam your other foot on the brake and pull the
hand brake at the same time.  If the engine doesn't stall, your clutch is
free!  If unsuccessful, you can repeat the process once or twice more
without overheating the brakes.  We once got a dirty look from an
unsuspecting soon to be PO when we handed over $300 for a TR-6 that was
considered to have "major transmission problems".  We pushed the car out
into the street to be off his property.  Followed the above procedure, and
promptly drove off.  We had told him these were often simple problems that
were easy to fix, he just didn't want to be bothered.  None-the-less, he
didn't seem to be too happy when we pulled away!

Regards,

Brian Schlorff   '64 TR-4     '71 TR-6     '72 TR-6     '79 Spit
     Power British                             Check out Power British
    371 E. Main St.                                    on the 'Net!
Norristown, PA 19401
   (610) 270-0505                    www.powerbritish.com/~britcars