Re: TD Fuel Warning Lamp

To: tr6@pipeline.com, frankk@businesson.com, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TD Fuel Warning Lamp
From: JMerz140 <JMerz140@aol.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 1998 09:37:33 EST
Frank and Ron,
I had an identical problem and decided it was in the tank unit.  Lo and behold
I was right.  The float was fine but because the car had been stored for a
long time, the trapped gasoline inside the contact section had turned to some
sticky stuff and caused the float arm to bind in its axis.  I opened it up,
soaked it in laquer thinner, allowed it to dry out and reassembled the whole
works.  Continues to work fine.
This was a normal condition because there is gas inside the float contact
(box) which is sealed with a small gasket and four screws.  The design
apparently is that they couldn't keep the gas from invading the inside of the
little box via seepage along the float arm axis so they added the gasket and
closure plate to keep the gas inside.
Moss sells a gasket kit consisting of the aforementioned gasket plus the round
one needed for installing the unit to the tank.  Jim