Supercharging a Land Rover??

To: land-rover-owner@playground.sun.com, british-cars@Autox.Team.Net,
Subject: Supercharging a Land Rover??
From: jello@dns.ida.net (Phil Bates)
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 1998 10:24:16 -0700
There was some supercharging info on the MG list so I am including them here.

I am rebuilding a '66 Land Rover.  The engine needs a complete workover, and
I am tearing down now (the crank is already out for a re-grind).  I was
planning on having the head machined to a 9:1 compression ratio (along with
hardened seats etc.), getting a better performance cam, and buying
Automotive Components' performance package that includes a new intake
manifold, muffler, and a 1 3/4 SU set-up.  I got to thinking, this is going
to cost a little upwards of $1200 just for the performance parts.  Then I
remembered Land Rover made the Tdi turbo deisel, and that my stock set-up
provides a 7:1 compression ratio, which would be about ideal for turbo- or
super-charging.  Has anyone done this, and how were the results??  I'd still
need to have the hardened valves put in, and I'd assume I'll still need
better exhaust, carburation, and a performance cam.  Anyone have any
thoughts on this??

Please respond to me in person, as I am not on the land rover mailing list.

Thanks
Phil Bates
58 MGA
67 MGB