Problem with a "B"

To: "mgs@autox.team.net mg listserv" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Problem with a "B"
From: Donna Swope <dswope@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 11:25:03 -0600
Hi folks.   A member of our local MG club here in Austin TX has a
problem, and has asked me to post it for him in hopes someone can give
him some advice!  I have told him how good you all are at giving advice!

"A couple of years ago, I broke the little spade connector off the
temperature sensor on my '76 B Roadster.  I got a new one at a local
parts house, but after I installed it, the temp gauge pegged on "hot" as
soon as the engine warmed up (the engine was definitely *not*
overheating).  I took it back for a replacement, which they provided,
and I got the same result.  I got out my soldering iron and tacked on a
glob to the old sensor that I could get an alligator clip on, modified
the wire to end in a clip, reinstalled the old sensor, hooked it up, and
things were back to normal.  Fast forward to the present.   I had to
replace my head gasket, so I took the head in for a valve job, and I
forgot to remove the sensor.  The machine shop managed to whack it
beyond all possible repair, so I ordered a new sensor from Victoria
Limited (the unit specified for my model year), and I'm back to the same
problem.  Pegged on "hot" when the engine comes up to normal temp.
Since I've just had the cooling system all apart, I am reticent to drive
around very much with no data from my temp gauge -- any ideas?"

at   ggunn@texas.net

Thanks folks!!

Donna Swope