Re: Tandem Master Cylinder

To: Rick Morrison <gofastmg@juno.com>
Subject: Re: Tandem Master Cylinder
From: "Berrie Watson (ADM)" <bwatson@bayflash.stpt.usf.edu>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 23:50:42 -0500 (EST)
I checked out the slide switch, and the pressure from the front system
pushed the switch over to mostly block flow on the rear system.  but when
I readjusted the switch, I lock up on the front system and I still get no
pressure on the back.  I can't bleed the rear because the front locks up!
I tried disconnecting the front system and feeding it back into the front
side of the MC, and still get very little movement.

I also tried blowing back through the hose to the rear of the MC and
sucking to draw from it, to no avail.... can anyone think of any other
test before taking it back (it is a rebuilt unit)??

Thanks for all of the great responses so far. Oh, and a tip-- when I
brought my leaking MC to the shop, I was told that I should use ONLY DOT 4
brake fluid ( I had been using DOT 3).  Evidently, DOT 3 will quickly
deteriorate that delicate English rubber in the MC and calipers and wheel
cylinders!!  I have flushed out the DOT 3 - but this is the first I have
heard of this.  If true - it deserves a place on the first page in the
HAYNES manual!!

71 MGBGT

                                Berrie C. Watson
                                Assistant in Campus Computing