Please Allow Me to Introduce Myself

To: "'MG submission'" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Please Allow Me to Introduce Myself
From: "Cordell, Ralph PhD" <rzc4@cdc.gov>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 1998 16:12:06 -0500
While I'm a newbie to this list, I've been part of the turbo buick list
for several years.  I got my '59 MGA as a graduation present from my
folks back in '68.  She was my first car and I helped my dad rebuild
her.  We went through college together - tear gassed at SIU back in
spring of '70 during the campus unrest  (embarrassed to say the MG logo
on the trunk was replaced by a peace sign for a while after that).
Dated my first love and a lot of "lusts" in that car (told my dad if I
wanted to go somewhere I'd take the MG but if I wanted to get some where
I'd take his Impala).  The "A" has spent the last 20+ years in various
garages - my dad had the title and kept on saying he was going to fix it
up again.  A bit of sib rivalry kept it with my dad until last May, I
bought it from my sister, loaded it on a trailer and trucked it down to
Atlanta.  At the time my wife said it was a "piece of junk" and she
would never ride in it.  I told her she would be the first of my girl
friends not to ride in it.  Finally, after hundreds of hours and
thousands of dollars, it is near completion.  My wife changed her mind
several months ago when I got the clear coat on the Oriental Red paint
job.  What started as a new top/paint job/interior has now grown to
include rewiring and detailing the once derelict engine compartment.
I'd now eat off the engine except I'd be afraid to get crumbs on it.
The MG emblem is now proudly back on the trunk as well as on the dash,
hood (I never knew they had a nose piece), wheels, shift knob and
steering wheel.  The dash pots are hand-polished and the Morris Garage
emblem on the radiator tank has been polished til it shines.  Its not a
perfect job but I've done it all myself and will take both the credit
and the blame.  Tweren't grease & grime but memories I found in that
car.

ralph cordell
'59 MGA
'84 Turbon Regal