Re: MGB starting.... another day...

To: tboicey@brit.ca (Trevor Boicey)
Subject: Re: MGB starting.... another day...
From: Nory@webtv.net (Nory)
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 1998 09:41:29 -0500
Trev,
I had a similar problem last year.  These are a few of the things I was
told to check, then check again.  How's the compression?  Any chance
you've got a blown head gasket?  Small wires inside the dizzy connected
tight (been there, done that) and correctly, with no worn wire?  Can you
smell fuel when you try to start it?  Is it possible the mixture is too
high or low for it to start?  Replace the fuel filter.  Also check and
see if you have  second fuel filter near the pump.  Some cars have these
and they're usually filthy because the PO didn't realize it was there.
Take out your grose jet/needle valve and try to blow through it.
Sometimes they stick enough where you don't notice it on the car, but
it's just enough to choke out the fuel (or overflow it) at a critical
time.
Is this a ballasted system?  Maybe the ballast is shot (been there)?
Does the coil get very hot?  That's a sign of it.

That's all I can recall at the moment.

-NORY
Don't assume that because you have found one problem, you have found the
ONLY problem.

 '74 Midget & '71 parts car
 '94 Ford Ranger
 '86 Ford Escort