Re: Disk Wheels - MGA

To: "Cordell, Ralph PhD" <rzc4@cdc.gov>,
Subject: Re: Disk Wheels - MGA
From: Jurgen Hartwig <gt0003a@prism.gatech.edu>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 13:56:56 -0500
At 01:16 PM 1/22/98 -0500, Cordell, Ralph PhD wrote:

>It sort of seems like a no-brainer (for $300+ they get dirty vs I get

>dirty) but have any of you had experience refinishing wheels and am I

>missing something here?  I've also got a gallon can of stripeze and a

>bag of coarse steel wool pads (I'm sort of tired of the skin on my hands

>anyway).  What sort of paint should I use if I do it myself?  Are there

>any tricks/pitfalls I need to be aware of?  It all seems pretty

>straightforward but I've a long history of being torpedoed by things

>that seemed straightforward.  Hints/suggestions will be appreciated.

Ralph, if you happen to have an air compressor, I would suggest a small

sandblast kit, which has just the gun.

These run around $25 from your local hardware store.

I was recently short on sandblast sand and I used regular patio paver sand.

I can't say what grit it was, but it did a great job.

Take it down to bare metal, then grab some metal etching primer and prime those

jewels.  If the surface is rough after sanding, you may want to use a leveling

primer as well.  Since it sounds like you are going to have hubcabs over the

wheels, I would just recommend a simple acrylic enamel paint which is forgiving

and simple to apply.  Only one coat is necessary, but if you want a nice gleam,

you can use a clear coat over the enamel and get a really glossy finish.

However, if you desire to use a chemical stripper, I would suggest you forgo the

Stripeze and go to a paint supply store(preferably automotive) and ask for a
quart

of aircraft stripper.  This will make short work of any paint, except the most

stubborn.  Any chemical stripper is going to eat your skin up.

I used to use latex gloves but the stripper ate through them in no time flat,

so I suggest you grab some dish washing gloves.  They work great, and if you

put some Palmolive inside the gloves, you'll have silky smooth hands.:)

I still suggest the sandblaster.  It's quick, gets rid of all paint, and

it's a great toy.

Consider that you would pay $300+ to have someone else do the work, and the
sandblaster cost and your sweat labor are quite an attractive alternative.
Besides, doing the work yourself is more fun and rewarding.  I love being able
to say that I rebuilt my car with my own two grubby hands.

I've seen the wheels Atlanta Imports puts out and they aren't near the quality
you

could do yourself.

Jay

Jurgen Hartwig, Civil Engineering, Georgia Tech

and the world rejoiced

Try to live your life so that

when you die you will rejoice

and the world will cry.