Re: Questions for U.K. listers

To: "MG digest submit" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>, <saschris@flash.net>
Subject: Re: Questions for U.K. listers
From: Phil Raby <mgworld@chp.ltd.uk>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 98 10:03:55 -0000
On 23/1/98 9:04 am Chris Delling said

Chris,

>I have two questions mainly for those listers who reside in the U.K.
Oops, that must mean me ;-)

>LBC Question:  It appears that the Weber DGV downdraft carb is not a
>popular addition to cars in the U.K.  It is very popular here in the U.S.
>for RB B's as a replacement for the Zenith-Stromberg.  As domestic market
>B's never gave up their dual S.U.'s, this is no suprise.
>
>Is this carb used at all in the U.K.?  I am interested in finding
>performance comparisons between dual S.U.'s and the Weber DGV.  Any help
>would be appreciated.
>I have been unable to come up with any data on this here in the States.
>Peter Burgess/Lindsey Porter, and every other book on the B seems to fail
>to mention it (or much of anything about Federalized RB B's).
Webers and Dellortos are used in the UK, but probably to a lesser extent
than in the US. You can't beat the simplicity of a couple of SUs. I've
never got on with Strombergs, so I don't blame you for wanting to get rid
of them.

You'll only get a worthwhile performance increase if you combine Webers
with a reworked cylinder head, therefore it's not really possible to give
figures - it depends on how much you do to the engine.

I'd suggest that Webers are the way to go if you are builting a tweaked
engine. If nothing else, they make a great sound! :-)

>Non-LBC Question:  Where did Chumbawumba come from?  Is it true that the
>song Tubthumping is actually the "theme song" for an English Football team?
> Trying to settle a little wager!

You've lost me there, but then I'm not into football, sorry.

Hope this is of help.

cheers,

Philip Raby
Editor, MG World
PO Box 163, Bicester OX6 3YS, UK
Tel: 01869 340061 Fax: 01869 340063 Mobile 0467 767361
www.chp.ltd.uk