Re: Unleaded petrol

To: Dr G W Owen <ensgwo@bath.ac.uk>, Geoff Holmes <geoffholmes@btinternet.com>
Subject: Re: Unleaded petrol
From: Leckstein <bleckstein@mail.monmouth.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 1998 16:55:42 -0500
,At 08:48 AM 1/23/98 +0000, Dr G W Owen wrote:
>On Fri, 23 Jan 1998, Geoff Holmes wrote:
>
>> Hello
>>
>> I'm an elderly chap who drives an elderly car (Riley 9). Has anybody any
ideas/suggestions/comments on what to do when the sale of four star petrol
is finally stopped in the UK? Some say it will continue to be sold for a
while, but almost certainly not in my remote area. Valve seat inserts seem
to be the only long term option, so any advice would be welcomed.

>Geoff,
>
>There is a lot of talk in the vintage movement at the moment about valve
>seats. I have heard that only some engines are affected by the change to
>unleaded. Some apparently cope without the lead. (I guess this is partly
>due to lead not being ut in fuel before the 20s).
>
>Some people are suggesting trying the unleaded for 1000 miles or so and
>see. If the valve clearances all shut then you need to put in seats AND
>VALVES. In which case I guess you dont loose anything by doing the
>experiment!
>
>I would recommend a second opinion before trying!!!
>
>Geraint

I think all of our British friends should realize that now that their cars
won't run on unleaded, that they ship them to us in the colonies at half
price, before they are worth nothing in Britain. There are a few pre war
models I would ,through the goodness of my heart, take off their hands. We
,in the States are so stupid, we haven't noticed that the cars will not run
on unleaded, even though we have been usung it for two decades.

I am sure there are others on this list that would come to the aid of  our
friends across the pond in a like manner.Email me for shipping instructions.

Mike