Re: Another physics question (now fat tires)

To: Bob MGT <BobMGT@aol.com>, "mgs@autox.team.net" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Another physics question (now fat tires)
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 00:17:32 -0500
Bob MGT wrote:
> So how does this apply to handling vs tire width? I have a running argument
> with some of my buddies about this. I maintain that wide tires don't improve
> handling all that much, and I use the coefficient of friction reasoning.

  Again, the coefficient of friction only applies to smooth surface
on smooth surface.

  The pavement is not smooth and the rubber is soft, so the rubber
protrudes into the pavement and vice versa. This allows the tire to
actually push LATERALLY on the pavement, not just using friction.

  Think of climbing a curved steel ramp that keeps getting steeper. You
only have friction, and can only go so high.

  Replace it with a ramp that has crannies in it. You can dig
your fingers into the hole and climb it MUCH higher, even beyond
vertical like rock climbers. This is because you can apply force
LATERALLY inside the holes.

--
Trevor Boicey
Ottawa, Canada