Re: Front and Rear bumpers (MGB body mods)

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Front and Rear bumpers (MGB body mods)
From: Keith Wheeler <keithw@sand.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 10:45:09 -0800
Here's something Bob snipped from his reply.

I said:

"We've discussed automotive social strata before and this list, and
one of the things that always infuriates me is the "you shouldn't
even have a classic MG because you can't afford to hire someone
else to build it" attitude that seems to be so prevelant at
car shows."

and he then goes on to show which side of that statement he's on:

>I stand by my statement. Sheet metal, bumpers, turn signals, grilles and that
>paint job is 2 kilobucks. New springs and a front cross member ain't free. If
>you won't do the whole conversion you just have another clapped out DPO
>special.

Yep.  There's only two kinds of old sports cars, clapped out, and
perfect show cars.  Can't have anything else, gotta be in either of
those groups.

>The fellow asked a sincere question: If it would be feasible to make his
car >something that it is not. I still say no.

>Buying someone else's restoration is always cheaper than doing it
yourself. If
>you want a different car, then be frugal with your repairs and reconditioning
>of your current ride while you shop for your next one. A first rate detail
job
>is only labor and can easily get you one quarter of the way in resale value.
>Polish sells. Mechanicals just need to be clean and functional.

I think the whole CB vs RB debate is too deeply seated in this group.
The original post said:

"I have a 76' MGB and am thinking about dropping the car and putting chrome
bumpers on it *OR* maybe the LeMans type smooth look. Does anyone know
anyother options I have? Bodykits, other types of bumpers,etc.."

(my added emphasis on the "or")

Yes, it's a lot of work to convert a RB car to CB.  Yeah, unless you
want an easy V-8 conversion with chrome bumpers, you should just
buy a pre '74.5 'B.  However, being frugal and polishing a '76 'B
is not going to get you a Sebring 'B or a droop snoot Le Mans car.
If you happen to want such a critter, then converting a RB over
(particularly if you are resourceful) is no bigger a deal than
converting a CB car.

Now if one happens to subscribe to the "original is the only way, no one
should modify a car and all those Sebring MGBs are just DPO garbage"...
I don't know what to say then.

The factory built Sebring and Le Mans specials.  I see no reason why
one built now by an enthusiest is any less a "real" MG.  To me at least,
it's that nostalgia thing again, anything from the past is wonderful
(hence the acceptance of "original" Sebring and Le Mans 'Bs, Midgets
and Sprites) but unless it's a *perfect* representation of the past,
anything done to these cars today is just so much lower class
blundering.

Give us a break.  If the guy wants to rebody a 'B, a '76 is just
as fine a start as anything.

-Keith Wheeler
Team Sanctuary                  http://www.teamsanctuary.com/