Re: Virus Warning

To: "michael j robson" <miker15@juno.com>, <RJ-BLUMBERG@prodigy.net>
Subject: Re: Virus Warning
From: "Kai Radicke" <mowogmg@pil.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 1998 21:27:54 -0500
>>Toall Mg readers-Do not, repeat do not open, any E-Mail captioned
>>"Mail delivery-Return Mail-User Unknown.".This is a deliberate virus as
>>
>Too late, just got one of those but  it really was a retuned message
>where i got the address wrong
>Kai, Ben and all the other computer mavens, Isnt this sort of thing
>usually a load of bollocks??
>
>mike robson

Actually, as Blake said, this message is harmless.  It usually occurs when
the  SMTP daemon (the program that sends your mail from your ISP) can't
deliver the message.

And secondly, also as Blake noted, you can not get a virus by reading an
email...however it is possible to get virus by executing an attached file
(.exe or something) in that email.

But sometimes people don't realize that the 'program' that sent the "User
unknown message" is not a person such as this one from my ISP:

> From: "Real Name" <username@virtualdomain.com>
> To: MAILER-DAEMON@my.isp.net
> Subject: Re: failure notice
>
> > Hi. This is the qmail-send program at my.isp.net.
> > I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following
addresses.
> > This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.
>
>Hey,  Thanks for trying.
> Have a merry Christmas!

My ISP has a great sense of Humor :-)

Cheers,

Kai Radicke -- kmr@pil.net -- 1966 MGB @ http://www.pil.net/~mowogmg
IRC: irc.mcs.net, #inet-access (my nick: ActiveX or KMR)