MGA Distributor rebuild

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: MGA Distributor rebuild
From: Bill Eastman <william.eastman@medtronic.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 1998 09:03:15 -0600
Hello, all!

After some deliberation, I decided that I am not patient enough to go
through some treasure hunt for a new set of distributor springs.  I cleaned
and relubed everything with various wonder lubricants that I have around
the house (Pedro's Extra Dry Chain Lube works great for the main shaft).  I
then carefully shortened the existing springs by cutting about .030 inch
from the end of each end loop and rebending the loops.  I did the first one
and it was a little tighter than I wanted so I left the second spring a
little longer.

Now the distributor seems to act like it is supposed to.  By forcing the
shaft to one side, I can change my point gap by a couple of thousandths but
I don't think that will be enough to worry about.

Next question:  There is no seal on the distributor shaft where it slides
into the block.  I believe that later engines have an O-ring there.  Should
I do something about this?  There doesn't seem to be a groove for an O-ring
but it would be nice to make the joint as leak free as possible.

Next on the list for attention-  the generator.

Thanks,
Bill Eastman
61 MGA