Re: TD Sending unit sealant

To: Roger Wilt <rdwilt@pol.net>
Subject: Re: TD Sending unit sealant
From: Bud Krueger <bkrueger@ici.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 1998 21:22:00 -0500
Roger,
     I did some rather serious digging into this question and learned that
there is NO sealant that can tolerate being in continuous contact with
gasoline. Two-part epoxies can handle the gasoline but may be tough to undo
at a later date. The best solution is to make sure that the mounting
surfaces are clean and flat. Do not overtighten the screws that mount the
sending unit, or the cover. Doing so will guarantee leaks because the gasket
will creep. A fellow lister recently suggested using teflon tape on the
screw threads. Makes sense to me. Also - sliding a thin flat washer followed
by a neoprene o-ring onto the screws can help prevent leakage around the
screw holes.

Good luck,

Bud Krueger
Been there --- 52TD