Jeeped: (Was: Re: Apologies to the list, like forever? (No LBC)- More r

To: Nory <Nory@webtv.net>
Subject: Jeeped: (Was: Re: Apologies to the list, like forever? (No LBC)- More ranting!)
From: Mike Lishego <mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 1998 11:53:24 -0800
Nory wrote:

> Mike,
>
> I sympathize with you on your mechanic's bill on the Jeep.  I just had a
> mechanic replace the belts on the '86 Escort (hey, it's cold outside,
> and it's a small job, so it won't cost much, right?) - I paid $48 labor,
> and $54 for the belts.  YIKES!

Mike,
        The more I thought about it, the $700 bill is up to speed with most
newer
vehicles.  When I bought my used S-10, the garage did a free tune-up at my
demand,
which consisted of all fluid changes, (brake and clutch incl.), nex serpentine
belt,
new plugs, air cleaner, oil filter, and wiper blades.  (Notice they forgot plug
wires.
 That would have been an extra $75!)  The printed total, which I must stress as
'free'
came to $450!!!
        A friend of mine has a Geo Tracker which he sends to the shop for
tune-up, and
he pays about $500 every year or two.  The spark plugs apparently sit very low
in the
head, so they need a special tool to reach them.  My guess is that it's a spark
plug
socket with an extension.  Of course, you need special plug wires that cost
$180 per
set of four, and they can't be found at AutoZone either.
        I don't think cars have gotten any better for anybody but they guys who
make
money off them in the corporations.  Of course, that's just my opinion, but
when you
get a tune-up bill for $450 dollars there's something wrong.  I will admit that
some
of the emission control parts can get pricey, and they are sometimes a pain to
change,
but some of the stuff is downright overpriced...Like $75 OEM plug wires...I now
have a
set that exceeds OEM specs, stops my radio from making a 'ticking' sound, and
have a
lifetime warranty...Total price: $18.  Anyway, watch what they charged you for,
and
call them on it if anything sounds terribly wrong...<rant mode off>

--
Michael S. Lishego
St. Andrews Presbyterian College