Re: Tuneups; Was Re: Apologies to the list, like forever? (No LBC conte

To: Larry Macy <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>
Subject: Re: Tuneups; Was Re: Apologies to the list, like forever? (No LBC content)
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 1998 04:36:33 -0500
Larry Macy wrote:
> For something we can do in a couple of hours,
> they have have to charge for the time it takes to hook up the computer to
> diagnose the problem, read the read out, then make the fix.

  To be blunt, most auto repair work these days is "good old wrenching"
regardless of what rumours old fogies like to start.

  Frankly, the computers make up for in reliability what they lack
in fix-it-yourselfness. More people can change a light bulb than can
change a TV picture tube, but that's meaningless because most people
HAVE to change light bulbs and few ever see the need to change the
picture tube.

  In other words, fixing computer stuff can be tricky but it's not
something you have to do often if ever.

  Most stuff that actually breaks on modern cars are mechanical
bits that are not much different than LBC bits, just cleaner.

  ...oh, and hooking up the computer read out takes seconds, regardless
of what they bill you for. ;>

--
Trevor Boicey
Ottawa, Canada