Re: MGA Battery conversion

To: MYLDN@aol.com
Subject: Re: MGA Battery conversion
From: BobMGT@aol.com
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 1998 23:28:17 EST
In a message dated 2/5/98 8:21:04 PM !!!First Boot!!!, MYLDN@aol.com writes:

> Hi all, Im needing to know if anyone has a good recomendation on which type
> of
>  single 12volt battery will work well as a replacement for the two six. Im
> not
>  concerned with size as im building a new battery box and can enlarge if I
> need
>  to. My concern is the low charging output of the generator, I dont want a
>  battery that will force the generator to overload its output to recharge
the
>  battery. so I asume  it will need to be a fairly low amp battery?
>  Sean Muldoon
>  58 MGA Roadster

Sean,

The capacity of the battery won't bother the generator, the more Amp-Hrs the
better.
A big battery may be more than willing to burn up the starter if you crank too
long though.
Some people just keep cranking till the battery runs down when their car won't
start.
The owners manual usually specifies a maximum cranking time.

Bob Donahue (Still stuck in the '50s)
EMAIL - BOBMGT@AOL.COM
52 MGTD - under DIY restoration NEMGTR #11470
71 MGB   - AMGBA #96-12029, NAMGBR #7-3336