MGF Ride, Next MG thoughts, Midget Lever Shocks HELP!

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: MGF Ride, Next MG thoughts, Midget Lever Shocks HELP!
From: HORNERLJH@aol.com
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 1998 10:26:58 EST
1.) MGF Ride:  Phil Raby, I will gladly take you up on your offer of an MGF
drive on my next business trip to Blighty.  I'm a real passport-toting
'murican, have valid UK drivers license, did the Ian Taylor (R.I.P.) Motor
Racing School, AND I'll buy you a pint at my old local, The Australian, in
Milner Street, London SW3, or the establishment of your choice.
2.) Next MG:  On the subject of the next MG for the USA (think positively)
I'll offer my tuppence:  "target market", read also "target price", should be
around other "affordable" sports cars such as the, no flames please, Mi*ta.
That is the market where MG made its name, reputation, and business previously
on this side of the Pond.  Pricing a MG sports car in the range of the BMW Z3,
Porker Boxcar, or MB SL(ed)k is difficult marketing.  Think of who owns MG.
Would the local Bimmer dealer have similarly priced vehicles competing side by
side for customer attention?  We all know what eventually happened to BL when
the MG's & Tr*umphs wound up in the same showroom.  I know, I bought the
Midget like that in 1975.  But then, the end was nigh.   Would the Land Rover
dealer let us drive the MG over its hoakey "off-road" landscape, never mind
think it a drawing card to lure potential SUV buyers?  For example, an MGF
costed out for USA consumption should be similar to the FOB price for other
left-hookers plus Insurance and Freight (CIF) to the Colonies.  Not just a
straight conversion from the GBP price to USD.  That still leaves it too close
to the "Do I want a MG, BMW, Porsche, or MB in my driveway" mentality for
buyers.  Lowering the price to be competitive to the likes of the M*ata is
called "dumping", a Bozo no-no in international trade.  My solution is to
design and build an "affordable" LH drive car in the USA at the South Carolina
plant for global consumption.  Were it so simple!  Any thoughts out there?
3.)  Midget Lever Shocks:  If you've been patient enough to read this far
please help.  Before I break something or undo the wrong thing, just exactly
where are the damper/shock fluid inlet points on the front AND rear of the
lever action units?  I am ready with tools, fluid (read all the posts), and
long nosed squirter can.
Regards,
Jack Horner
1975 Midget
1981 Ferrari Mondial 8
Couple of Audi's
NO, repeat, NO SUV {Go ahead & flame, but you'll be in the rear of a long line
(queue)! }