Re: B roadster windshield romoval

To: ckrug@laf.cioe.com
Subject: Re: B roadster windshield romoval
From: miker15@juno.com (michael j robson)
Date: Sun, 08 Feb 1998 17:03:05 EST
On Sun, 8 Feb 1998 16:15:30 -0500 (EST) Calvin Krug <ckrug@laf.cioe.com>
writes:
>>It really wasn't necessary to remove the dash. Without removing the
>dash
>>the job should take maybe 40 minutes or a little less. The real
>problem
>>comes when you try to reinstall the windshield.
>>...Art
>>

>I thought I could get those bolts out with the dash in place, but
>since the
>dash is cracked pretty bad, and the wiring's a bit of a mess, I
>thought I'd
>do it all at once.  Now it's time to start saving my pennies for a new
>panel.  The wiring will survive, it just needs tied up a little
>better.
>
>Calvin
I have had a bit of luck with this on the 69 - another lovely weekend, if
a little parky.... and the prep for paint continues...i took a close look
at the windscreen seal (frame to body) and it is in excellent condition,
supple, not cracked/split and forming as good a seal as they ever do. The
dash is mint - i can only guess its a replacement since the car spent
most of its life in AZ - surely must have cracked at some time...
The rubber seals on the windscreen legs were a bit cracked on the edges
but i cleaned them up with a stanley knife, reshaped them and i "think" i
can get away with not taking it off -  i would really prefer not to but
am a little apprehensive about future regrets!!!!
I really cant progress the rough sanding much further without taking off
the lights and taking the trim and windows out which will pretty nuch
make it undrivable for a while so before i do that i'll get a couple of
paint quotes - anyone in the NE had a full car shot recently?
The guy who did part of my GT last year is so busy he really isnt
interested and other than that, the last full car i did was at maaco -
(yes, i really was that dumb...)
I dont think there is any welding needed except for a small split in the
rear valance (havnt found anything else serious) but it will need skim
bondo in some places,(mostly deep paint chips) primer  top and clearcoat.
I am not going to pull the engine, the compartment is pretty much ok
after 2 bottles of degreaser (and another one to go....)
So im looking for your paint friends in the CT/NY/NJ area!! - any
suggestions as well as any recent price experiences greatly appreciated.

mike robson
69 roadster (hey it really is BRG under there....)
70 BGT
72 roadster (hey it really is blaze under there and thanks to maaco you
can tell!)

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]