1967 Radio Console + links to some pics

To: "alan b. fisher" <hello39@IDT.NET>, Sprite List <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>,
Subject: 1967 Radio Console + links to some pics
From: Patton Dickson <kpatton@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 23:40:50 -0600
OK Folks here is the issue.

Back in July I came across a 67 Midget that had been used as a parts car in
Colorado.  The car was missing fenders, and what was there was
pretty rough.  But sitting there in the cockpit sat an early style radio
console in almost perfect shape.  I bought it for my car to replace
the later midget one that I had.  The mounting holes in the top of the dash and
back of the firewall lined up fine and I was a happy man.

Here is the point of contention.  The car I got this from was red (well maroon
actually)  It appeared to be the original paint job considering
that the interior trim was all painted the same color and shade, as well as the
inside of the trunk, and the other area that we usually find
the cars "original color" by looking at.  Well, my console is painted that
color, not close, but exact.  After hearing the discussion in this
group I understand that the conventional wisdom is that they were not painted
the car's color, but in black wrinkle paint.  It just bothers me,
there is only one layer of paint on this thing (clearly seen where the paint
has chipped, and I have scraped corner to double check) and it is
that maroon.

I don't see anyone going to the trouble to strip and paint a car that good and
completely, I know now it makes sense, but this car has been
considered a junker for around 20 years if I remember the sticker in the window
right.  I also don't see anyone spending the time to paint an
aftermarket console to match the car, its easier to paint hem all black.
Finally, my 67 Midget sales brochure (while not showing a radio
console anywhere) clearly shows a red interior with the metal part of the shift
boot (whatever the right name is) painted red.  Wouldn't this
be a logical piece to match this.  I really think that some of these radios
came from the factory, and they came from the factory with the
console painted the same color as the exterior is the car.

Has anyone else seen another one like mine.  I really want to know...

You can see three pictures of mine plus the red 67 interior shots (notice no
driver side door lock), and a couple other shots out of that
brochure at http://www.geocities.com/TheTropics/Shores/1256/radio.html

By the way I also added the pictures of Alan's reproduction consoles to use
with modern radios to the page I had put on my site to show off his
wingwindows.  Check it out at
http://www.GEOCITIES.COM/TheTropics/Shores/1256/alan.html

--
Patton Dickson---Dallas, TX---1967 A-H Sprite---H-AN9-L/69437
My Sprite Site http://www.geocities.com/TheTropics/Shores/1256/page2.html

Hey LBC'ers come to Spriterush - Carlisle PA, May 11-14
Go to http://www.exit109.com/~spritenut for more information
Sprites-Midgets-Minis-Minors-Big Healeys-MG's other BMC models are welcome.