SOL - A Virtual Club was Re: 4/85 - This is [still] rediculous

To: Mike Lambdin <MLAMBDIN@TOE.TOWSON.EDU>
Subject: SOL - A Virtual Club was Re: 4/85 - This is [still] rediculous
From: mmcewen@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca (John McEwen)
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 10:37:19 -0500
Hello Mike:

How would you define "content worth reading"?  Each of us has an interest
in MGs and an abiding interest in automobiles and a related interest in
repairing/restoring them.  We are also a virtual car club where opinion is
given, advice sought, events planned and celebrated, and ideas bruited
about.  A number is a simple reflection of an individual opinion captured
during a very brief moment in a continuously evolving collection of
opinion.

If the list exists to serve those who lack knowledge about their vehicles
by expecting others to solve their problems, then it is a good thing for
those who need answers.  For those who provide answers the purpose is less
simple.  Often the answers requested are as close as the owner's handbook
or shop manual.  Is the list there solely to assist those who are unable to
read, cannot afford, or are unwilling to take the time to acquire the basic
knowledge we all must have?

If the list exists to act as a bulletin board to LBC activities, it serves
only a small part of its audience - those who live within a reasonable
distance of the activity. Is the dissemination of information about club
activities a worthwhile goal when most listers are not members of a given
club?  If the list exists to assist with finding parts or to determine a
procedure on an MGB, what does this mean to non-B owners? If the list
exists to help people to find bargain cars for resale, what does this do
for those who don't live near the bargain and/or don't wish to purchase
another car?

If the list exists to share opinions amongst a group of people related by a
common interest, what about those who only wish to learn about their
specific interest and are not interested - or able to participate - in
discussions involving opinion?

If the list exists to provide something for everyone with the understanding
that the relationship is pre-defined by the subject - MG - and that these
people are well-educated, intelligent people who have widespread interests
and knowledge, then it is a very good list.  It is also a prolific one as
verified by statistics. The topic is defined by the moment.  If the moment
is not a good one for you and others, it will pass.   I assure you that, as
a non-drinker, beer threads were of no interest to me but must have been
quite interesting to others.  Equally unimportant to me were Frank Zappa,
cats, MOWOG, and all of the other quirky and bizarre topics discussed.
They were however the opinion and fascination of a group of members of our
virtual club.

Each of us must examine his/her motives, needs and purpose.  I have never
failed to get the information I may have needed.  I have no difficulty in
sorting through postings I don't wish to read - just as I must skim through
the pages of a reference book or data base to find what I want.  If I post
opinion, whimsy or reflection I never fail to reach other opinion, whimsy
or reflection in turn.  These things reflect the richness of our lives and
the depth of our experiences.  They also explain and illustrate our abiding
affection for our whimsical mechanical-hobby horses.

John McEwen

As we all have visited junk yards in the eternal search, we all truly know
that one man's JUNK is another man's treasure.