Re: Rev Limiter

To: acace@juno.com
Subject: Re: Rev Limiter
From: mgbob@juno.com (ROBERT G. HOWARD)
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 1998 07:49:27 EST
Hi Dick,
  Now I can understand the need. The excitement of competition can do
that sort of thing to one's right foot.
  My experience is that the tach always reads higher than actual. If,
however, the generator pulley is larger than standard, as the company
recommended for racing MGBs, then the the tach would be read lower. Ouch.
  The suggestion of a screw stop on the throttle would not do you much
good, since long downhills would allow the revs to get up. Maybe someone
on the list knows about electrical rev limiters. I note that a number of
new cars are said to have them, and they are installed in almost all
large diesel trucks. Maybe a trip to the Cummins dealer or  a truckstop
would result in some ideas that you could incorporate.
  I would like to know how you improved the engine, at least your
improvements that can be shared.  There's no pressing desire on my part
at this time to do anything to this one, but someday it will need to be
opened and worked on. This MkII, which Dad bought new and then didn't use
much, has the original head and distrib. Neither seems to be in the parts
book. One wonders what they were doing in Abington that day.
Perhaps these were additional modifications to add to the
already-impressive 57 hp of the MkII; perhaps these were parts that were
found under the bench. We'll never know.
Bob

On Fri, 13 Feb 1998 16:34:49 -0500 acace@juno.com (Richard W Waite)
writes:

>>  Before you do that, though, what is your secret to getting the TD
>>rev up so vigorously that a rev limiter is called for?
>>Bob
>> TD MKII
>
>Bob,
>
>I've been racing my TD in vintage events for several years now. Last
>spring
>I grenaded the engine and spent a fair bit of $ building up a new one.
>Some
>performance improvements were made allowing more revs. At some events,
>in particular hill climbs, I find myself pushing harder than may be
>prudent. Since
>the tach isn't known for accuarcy and I don't want a repeat of last
>spring I thought
>a rev limiter would be a good investment.
>
>Although I've improved the engine, I actually could over rev with the
>stock one
>under certain circumstances. Part of that was due to shedding about
>250 lbs
>of unnecessary car weight, part due to track conditions (down hill)
>and part to over
>aggressive driving in intermediate gears. At certain spots at Lime
>Rock, for
>instance, I would see 6k on the tach. With the new engine, more is
>available.
>
>If you are really interested in the details of my modifications I'd be
>glad to
>supply them, except my 'secrets' of course!
>
>Dick

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]