Re: [MGs} Polishing Electrical Connections

To: Steve Byers <byers@cconnect.net>
Subject: Re: [MGs} Polishing Electrical Connections
From: Der schwarze Buccaneer <js-allen@students.uiuc.edu>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 1998 08:21:27 -0600 (CST)
        A Dremel rotary tool (or equivalent copycat) with a small wire
brush works well too.  You can even polish it with a buffing pad and
compound if you're so inclined.

On Fri, 13 Feb 1998, Steve Byers wrote:
> I've seen several references to using sandpaper to polish electrical
> connections.  What works for me is to use a small stainless steel wire
> brush (a little bigger than a toothbrush).
> > Gary Davis wrote:
> > >
> > > I just bought my first MGB GT, and I'm a real neophyte.  I read about
> two
> > > ideas in the recent past that I wish to pursue.  The first was cleaning
> the
> > > fuse box for better connections and electricals operation.  Could you
> > > please repeat that recommendation with details?
> >
> >     Congrats on the GT!  I'm sure she's a beauty.  We all would like to hear
> more
> > about her someday, when list traffic is slow...Anyway, a wise man once
> recommended
> > use of a scotch-brite green pad to clean your electrical connections.  It
> seems that
> > this method is better than sandpaper, since the green pad does not remove
> metal from
> > the connector, like sandpaper does.  I like to clean up each spade
> connector, then
> > tighten the female end of the connection. That way the connection is
> clean and tight.
> >  For splicing wires, use a simple lineman's splice as opposed to the
> pigtail method.
> > Be sure to use shrink fit tubing instead of tape...It'll be much safer,
> last longer,
> > and keep the 'factory' appearance of your wiring...Good luck, if you use
> your good
> > sense, you'll be just fine...I know you have good sense, you bought an
> MG!
> >
> > --
> > Michael S. Lishego
> > St. Andrews Presbyterian College
> > Elementary Education Major,
> > English Minor, Class of 1999
> > R.A. of Winston-Salem Hall

                                                -Scott Allen
                                                js-allen@students.uiuc.edu

        "At dawn we will face the greatest test of our resolve.  But I
say this: though starving, hunger will not weaken us; though diseased,
illness will not cripple us, and though weary, exhaustion will not claim
us.  We can fight knowing that all true Reiklanders will forevermore
honour our valiant gesture of defiance, even though our bodies be left to
feed the beasts of carrion.

        Mind you...we could always surrender."  -Rick Priestly's Siege