Bearing caps

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Bearing caps
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 1998 11:56:11 EST
<<I'm dismantling my 1600 engine.  The three main bearing caps are
obviously pressed in. Does anyone know of any tricks to get these off
short of buying the special puller referred to in the MGA shop manual?
Hate to buy a tool I'll only (hopefully) use once.
Alternatively, where do you find a puller with the right thread?
Thanks.
John Vallely>>

The thread is the same as the thread on your main studs.
First, take a soft faced hammer and tap the main back and forth, while
levering as much as you can with a screwdriver. This usually works. If it
doesn't, use an old main stud or get a piece of threaded rod with the same
thread, and fit it to a slide hammer to pop the caps off. The slide hammer
itself is worth buying as it comes in handy for many different uses. Make sure
that you thread the puller all the way into the main cap, so that you pull the
cap of instead of just pulling the threads out of the cap!!!

Bill S.